We have a new FACS website. Let us know what you think

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence line (24 hours)1800 65 64 63 if you are in immediate danger call 000

Domestic violence image

Get help > Immigration & visas

Immigration & visas

Some people who have come to Australia on a temporary partner (or spousal) visa are worried that if they leave their violent partner, they will be forced to return to their home country. This is not true. The Migration Act allows that if the relationship breaks down due to domestic or family violence, the victim can apply for permanent residency.

In NSW there are services available as well as support and protection for women who are victims of domestic violence. Translators are available for you if you are not confident speaking English. If you are worried that you will be forced to return to your home country, you can talk to social workers. Contact the 24hr Domestic Violence Line on 1800 65 64 63 for information about local support services. 

For advice and assistance regarding immigration law where there is domestic and family violence, you can also contact the following services.

Immigration Advice and Rights Centre Inc.

The Immigration Advice and Rights Centre Inc. provides free immigration advice and representation to refugees and financially disadvantaged immigrants in New South Wales.

You can make an appointment to talk to someone about legal advice, or call the advice line on 02 9262 3833 (Tuesday and Thursday 2.00pm to 4.00pm).

Immigrant Women’s Speakout

Immigrant Women's Speakout Association is the peak advocacy, information, referral and research body representing immigrant and refugee women in NSW. 

Phone: (02) 9635 8022 (during business hours)
Postal Address: PO Box 9031, Harris Park NSW 2150
 Email: women@speakout.org.au

Speakout radio is a project by the Immigrant Women’s Speakout Association where issues about domestic and family violence are covered in radio plays. You can listen to mp3 recordings of the plays or read the scripts. They’re available in Arabic, Dari, Dinka, Khmer, Krio, Mandarin, Somali, Sudanese Arabic and Vietnamese.

Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW helps people with their legal problems. Their legal services include legal advice, help at court and family dispute resolution. This includes domestic and family violence issues and they offer a number of specialised services. Call Law Access NSW (free call) 1300 888 529, TTY 1300 889 529 for information about legal help and services. 

More help